Wednesday, January 20, 2016

Bob and Braces


Have you ever felt embarrassed by the things that you used to like?

Yes, it would be impossible to say I haven’t had my fair share of embarrassments and regrets in my life. For example, back in the day, I had a penchant for ripping off my clothes and running around in my birthday suit. Sometimes, I’d dig out a big, fluffy tutu and wear that around my waist but refuse to put on anything else. No shirt, no pants, and no underwear. Of course, I was only four or five so my behavior makes a little more sense, but it’s only natural to feel a little embarrassed by my war against society’s restrictions. Yet, I feel a certain pride in my old wild spirit. She didn’t care and did what she wanted with no regrets. But, that could last for only so long. In a couple years time, I would make one of the worst decisions of my life.
It was 2010. My family had just moved from hot and humid Southeast Georgia to flat and dry central Illinois. On top of that, my once bright, fine hair was beginning to darken to a dirty blonde. Least to say, I was not happy. While I was able to handle the transition well enough, the fact that I was losing my natural hair color was astonishing. There was a now a distinct line across my head; it was a fight between the light and the dark. To understand my next move, you must understand that at the time, I hated hairstyles that blended multiple colors. There was something about dipping your hair in dye and being stuck with a new color that simultaneously terrified and angered me. Despite its usefulness in this situation, dye was just not an option. As a result, this ongoing battle between my bright blonde and dirty blonde hair was hard for me to deal with. I had to figure out a way to fix it without coloring my hair. Then, I came to a terrible decision. I was going to chop it off.
At the time, bobs were the fashion of sixth grade society. A bob, in case you don’t know, is a hairstyle that is really short in the back and gets longer as you near the face. And, I knew I wanted one. Once I got to the salon and told everyone my idea, they tried to talk me out of it, but I refused to listen to reason. No, even better, I decided to get a bob that would not only chop off my blonde but ride just along my jaw for extra style. However, what I was imagining was not what happened in reality. My hair, normally straight and fine, poofed out to the side and rose higher than my jawline so that it was more around mid-cheek. In addition, my head looked ginormous within the confines of this tiny haircut. Yet I had convinced myself that this was the right decision, and that I looked amazing.
For those in disbelief, I present "the haircut"
and my fabulous sister, Gabby.
I strutted out of that salon with a sense of superiority. My new haircut demonstrated my professional skill (since I had the “sharp jawline” look) and built up my confidence in making decisions. Unfortunately, it wasn’t long after the haircut that I created the worst combo in the history of middle school -- bob and braces. With my teeth trapped in a metal cage and my hair falling slightly past my ears, seventh grade was especially brutal. While I never made the connection between that awful haircut and its effect on my social life, I realize now that that bob was a terrible mistake. Even today, I very rarely show anyone pictures from that time period. The embarrassment is just too much. If there’s one thing I could say to twelve year old Lauren, it would be to just consider dye and don’t trust yourself with scissors.


3 comments:

  1. Hi Lauren,
    This essay makes me laugh by providing several images of a younger Lauren. You’ve done a good job of describing little Lauren with only a tutu and middle school Lauren with short hair and braces. These images help the reader relate to you as they either did something similar or maybe know someone who did. And you make fun of yourself—this is an important element of a personal essay. The story telling of the essay is also strong as you lead the reader to the climax of the short haircut and braces (although I was expecting a story about some guy named Bob).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha Lauren I liked the humor and casual tone you put in your essay. I like all the detail you give before leading to why you got your hair cut the way you did. It doesn't drag on for too long, and you do a nice job of showing your vulnerability, but in a casual and funny way which is good. You also show your growth by telling us what you think of that time period from now. Overall I liked it and it was fun to read.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really liked the voice you use, it's very conversational and it flows as if you're speaking rather than writing. However, I think some of your transitions seem a little forced, maybe replace them with something more casual to maintain the tone? Also, I liked your ability to call back to specific events - this is something that I have trouble with, and your essay does it very well.

    ReplyDelete