Tuesday, November 29, 2016

Roommates

We’ve just started Room and already I can’t imagine being stuck in their situation for more than a couple of hours. Spending every single day crammed in a small room? I would go crazy. This is not the case for Jack, our main narrator and five year old kid. Due to unfortunate circumstances, he has been forced to exist solely within one room for his entire life, and worst of all, he doesn’t even realize it. Then again, thanks to his ignorance, he is capable of turning this entire room into a universe; one filled with “people” and games that makes every day new and interesting. These “people” I’m speaking of are the everyday objects laying around the room.
AAAAAEverything seems to have a personality and this can especially be seen when Jack is addressing an object. He capitalizes the object’s name and addresses it as a he or she. For example, “I can skateboard on Rocker without holding on to her”  (Donoghue, 8). I’ve underlined the portions of importance, but it is clear to see how Jack thinks of these objects as something more. They are not mere tools or material items; they are items he has grown up with and sees as friends in a sort. Either he addresses them as people with jobs (e.g. the Thermostat heats up the air) or as friends to play with: “[...] she pulls Clothes Horse out from beside Door and stands him open and I tell him to be strong. I would love to ride him like when I was a baby but I'm so huge now I might break his back” (16).
AAAAAABy seeing these objects as something besides material goods, Jack is able to cope with an otherwise isolationist environment. His brain comes with entertainment in order to maintain its strength and sanity. Additionally, since Jack has only ever seen this room, it’s much easier for him to seek out these countermeasures and have them be successful in distracting him. Adults in similar situations would be unable to accept their surroundings as easily without some sort of “aide” (i.e. malnutrition, drugs, etc.). The only example I can think of in which an adult uses objects as an escape is Tom Hanks character in Castaway, where the protagonist considers a volleyball to be his best friend.
AAAAAAWhile it’s still difficult for me to wrap my head around the fact that Jack has only seen one room his entire life, I understand his techniques to survive in this situation. Having only one person to talk to would drive anyone insane, and since he doesn’t have much opportunity to meet new people, turning objects into friends isn’t that crazy. I’m curious to see how the mother has been able to adapt for so long without this blissful ignorance, but for now, Jack’s world is depressing enough.

4 comments:

  1. This is definitely true, Jack and Ma's situation is completely beyond my understanding of enclosure and isolation. I feel cut off simply by staying in my house for a day. I couldn't stay in one room for 5 years. Sometimes I forget the gravity of the situation while reading, but it's really important to keep in mind because it shows how strong both Jack and Ma are for having endured this for 5 years.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know it is hard to wrap my head around how happy Jack is given his current circumstances, however it is true that he doesn't know another normal life for a kid his age exists, although that is a main part of why this story is so tragic so far.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice post! I definitely agree with you. Normally when people are in difficult situations, they invent ways to cope with them. As a child, Jack probably has a really big imagination as well as the fact that he has nobody else him ages to socialize with, leading to him using his mind and household objects to cope.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The turning-objects-into-friends thing actually seems pretty widespread. I've seen a couple examples in literature, and I've heard stories from people I know who've dealt with isolation where they've essentially done the same thing. One of the bigger questions for me was my Ma never took this up to a bigger extent. I can see her do it when playing with Jack, but I can't tell if its real or more of a facade like the "fake thank."

    ReplyDelete