Thursday, December 15, 2016

Capturing Room: Film or Book?

I know that technically we weren’t supposed to watch the movie Room, but I was curious to see how they approached the escape scene in the film. I mean, I didn’t watch the entire movie so there’s that. Anyway, if you’re interested here’s the clip for the scene I will be referencing, but I’ll try my best to describe so you don’t have to watch it. Now, let’s get down to business.

We’ve all read the escape scene in Room and each have our own way of imagining it. It’s especially difficult to picture exactly what is happening since the only things we see are through the eyes of five year who has literally no knowledge of anything in the Outside. So, not only are we on the edge of our seats wondering whether Jack will escape, but we are also trying to dissect exactly what is going on. For instance, when Jack jumps out of the truck and is trying to run away, I imagined him jumping off, falling, then running like half a block away and spotting the pedestrian.

In the film, however, everything is similar but wrong in a way. Old Nick isn’t as old as I had imagined and Jack doesn’t have as long of hair as I thought he would. Another thing, I pictured the escape happening at night, but the scene is shot in the middle of the day. When it comes time for Jack to get out of the truck, everything slows down. When I was reading Room, it seemed like everything was happening too fast to really process it and to see everything slow down threw me off.

The filmmakers were probably trying to play up the drama and intensity of the scene by adding slow motion, but I think the quick pace used in the novel actually makes it more realistic. When you are in a confusing and chaotic environment, it’s unlikely that you’re going to remember the details, especially in the case of a five year old. Similarly, by adding the slow motion, it seemed like the filmmakers had to cram in the other details so that the slo mo didn’t make the scene last forever. For instance, what I had imagined as a half block run turned out to be a ten foot stumble.

To clarify, Jack jumps out of the truck, falls, get up, slightly runs 10 feet, is grabbed by Nick, and then suddenly a guy and his dog is right there. That’s another weird thing about the guy and his dog; instead of being bitten by the dog, it’s more the dog barking and jumping and the guy looking confused (understandably). Then, one of the lines that captured the interaction (guy saying, “I don’t like this” and then calling the police) was cut! Rather, the guy just asks some questions and Nick freaks out before leaving.

When comparing these two, it’s clear that the book version is much better. The movie did a great job trying to replicate it but it can’t quite capture exactly what’s going on in Jack’s head without exposing its adult undertones. That’s an aspect of the book that is implied and we as readers work to figure out. In the film, everything is more in your face and it ultimately takes away from the book was trying to accomplish.

4 comments:

  1. Fortunately, I was able to resist watching anything related to Room until I finished it today. When I watched the trailer, the movie look pretty good, but I'm not sure if it will be as powerful as the book since, like you said, it's much harder to portray what's going on in Jack's head on film which is a really central part of this book. But perhaps we will get a more wholesome view of other characters in the story? I'm excited to see how the movie deals with Jack's narrative voice and whether they preserve it or completely eliminate it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I watched the clip and it was different than I expected. I agree with you that I would rather have it be more fast-paced, because the scene didn't seem to put me on the edge of the seat like the book did. The movie version of Jack was almost too artsy with the music? It felt more inspiring and emotional rather than the book which had a more tense and thrilling mood.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The slowing-down of the actual escape from Rug is probably a way to reflect the way that the written narrative "slows down" this rapid-fire sequence of movements through Jack's sentences specifying every movement and shift. But yes, it's definitely nighttime in the novel--Nick only comes to Room at night, and Jack is definitely running through the dark when he comes up on Ajeet and his dog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good post, I do agree that there will be scenes and emotions that are best conveyed through written words rather than through a movie. I do think that scenes like this can be portrayed through a bit of artistic liberty though, so we could just write it off as a choice of preference? But yeah, I personally did enjoy the way the scene played out in the novel than in the movie.

    ReplyDelete